Skip To Main Content

Community Resources

Counseling Referral List

The following is a list of outside counseling agencies that you may wish to contact for additional support. Most facilities provide individual and group counseling for children, adolescents and adults, as well as family and couples therapy.

If you have medical insurance, a major portion of a pre-determined amount of sessions should be covered. The agency will help arrange that for you. If you do not have insurance, most agencies use a sliding-fee scale based on your family's income, so that you can afford the help that you need. If you are having trouble finding someone to work with, please let me know. There are a few groups that will not turn anyone away because of financial difficulty.

Child Guidance & Family Solutions

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

18 N. Forge St. Akron, OH 44304

Phone: (330) 762-0591

ask for Admissions

Lighthouse Family Center

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

2416 Whipple Ave. NW, Canton, OH 44708

Phone: (330) 305-2753

Ohio Guidestone

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

401 Tuscarawas St. W, Suite 501, Canton, OH 44702

Phone: (440) 260-6466

Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

919 Second St. NE, Canton, OH 44704    (Shipley Office)

Phone: (330) 454-7917

Greenleaf Family Center

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

580 Grant St., Akron, OH 44311

Phone: (330) 376-9494

Red Oak Behavioral Health

Accepts Medicaid and other insurance

Outpatient counseling and psychiatric services

611 W. Market St. Akron, OH 44303

Phone: (330) 996-4600

Gentle Shephard

1469 S Main St, North Canton, OH 44720

Phone: (330) 499-3065

Vista Psychological & Counseling

1201 S Main St Suite 100, North Canton, OH 44720

Phone: (330) 244-8782

Akron Family Institute

3469 Fortuna Dr, Akron, OH 44312

Phone: (330) 644-3469

Everwell Community Health

4300 Lynn Rd., Suite 201

Ravenna, OH 44226

Phone: (216) 264-0008

Medicaid only

Serves Summit, Stark and Portage Counties

mental health, behavioral support and wrap around service (can offer home-based services)

Northeast Ohio Behavioral Health

Psychological testing and Psychiatric evaluations

Child/Adolescent/Adult/Family Counseling

2795 Front Street

Suite A

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221


EMERGE Ministries


900 Mull Avenue

Akron, Ohio 44313


Well Spring

1790 Town Park Blvd STE C, Uniontown, OH 44685

Phone: (330) 896-0856

Helpful Websites

We Do Listen Foundation

This is a wonderful website with several EXCELLENT and FREE online books for kids featuring Howard B. Wigglebottom. Howard helps kids learn some very useful social skills in a fun and interactive way. Check it out.

Social and Emotional Foundations of Early Learning

This website has a tremendous amount of resources for families to use on a variety of social and emotional topics. All materials are ready to use and good for all of our students.

Akron Children's Hospital

Children's Hospital in Akron is a great starting point for medical questions and concerns. It will also provide contact information for physicians and specialists.

Summit County Children's Services

Children's Services, better known as CSB, is the child protective authority in Summit County. They are the agency you would turn to if you were concerned about a child being neglected, or physically or sexually abused. They would be able to give you warning.

Autism Collaboration

This site provides the "A+ Recovery Search Engine that cuts through the confusion, providing the information, resources, and options you need to make the best decisions and most informed choices". 

Kids Against Bullying

This interactive site allows children to explore the reasons how and why kids bully, and teaches them how to prevent others from bullying them or their friends. It has games, puzzles and activities that highlight the importance of feelings,  and education.

The Manners Club

This site allows you to address all the "Monsters of Bad Manners" with your child, and provides them the opportunity to take a pledge to always use their best manners. It uses upbeat songs and fun characters to reinforce the message.

Parents Helping Parents (support for families with children with special needs)

PBS kids learning

Food Pantries and Clothing Banks

North Canton Church of Christ

1301 East Maple St.

North Canton, Ohio 44720

(330) 499-4303 

Clothing only: Saturday, August 13th – 10am-noon

Food only: Saturday, August 27th – 9:30am-noon

You may receive a number ahead of time by coming to the church before either of these dates on: Thursday (9am-noon or 4pm-6pm), Friday (9am-noon), or Saturday beginning at 7am)

This is optional and does not change the amount you will receive.

All are welcome. You must have a photo ID and proof of address to receive food, proof of income is not required. An emergency food supply may be obtained at any time by calling the number above, but there is a much larger quantity provided at the give-away date above. You may receive assistance once every 30 days.

Green Good Neighbors

Greensburg United Methodist Church

2161 Greensburg Rd.

(330) 896-1936

Open Every Wednesday, 9am – noon

(The line can be long in the beginning, so you may want to arrive between 10:00 and 11:00 am.)

You may receive food, clothing, and home goods, one time during each month.

Catholic Social Services of Summit County

(330) 762-7481

They can help with utility bills, food, and counseling services.

Relentless Church

1878 Killian Rd. 

(330) 644-7971

Food and clothing available the last Thursday of the month, 11am-1pm.

(We have been told the line can be quite long, but it is worth it, so you may want to arrive early.)

Emergency Food Line

They will help provide referrals to area food pantries for emergency food, formula, and diapers. Call (330) 376-4850.

Please note: Before attending any give-away in Summit County, register your family by calling  the Ohio Info Line at (330) 376-4850.

Info Line, This is an easy way to find the community resources you are looking for. They can help you find agencies that can assist with food, housing, and emergency billing needs. Simply dial 2-1-1.